Tundra Trackers always turn on when charging

When charging any of my trackers, they will turn on when plugged into a wall charger. I applied the JSON edit fix to prevent SteamVR from launching, but this just leaves them waiting to connect to SteamVR indefinitely as shown by a Blue LED. Is there anything I can do about this besides plugging them in only while SteamVR is running?

I did update my trackers so they should be on the latest version.

11 Likes

We need to do some brainstorming on this. Tundra Tracker drops one of the chips that identifies the type of charger that it is plugged into. There are also some customers who want to run the trackers via wireless when supplying USB power to them (like from a Trackstrap Plus or other power bank). This is the reason why they startup when USB power is applied.

1 Like

Well I think it should function similarly to other trackers, (ala HTC’s) where you turn on the tracker by holding the power button regardless of it being plugged in. But won’t power on just by being plugged in.

10 Likes

This is exactly why I signed up for the forums: to ask this question.

I am really annoyed at this ‘feature’. Everytime I charge my tundra tracker, which is every day before I get into VR, my base stations spin up and steamVR launches, which makes me have to go into the other room, turn off my SteamVR, and get my base stations to spin down into sleep mode again.

Please, how do we disable this auto-power up?

5 Likes

Hier you can find the solution:

1 Like

“solution”, yeah right

Also, make a copy of your file first, so if it gets deleted you have a backup.

1 Like

Thanks, but that also disables my ability to start steamVR by pressing the button on my headset, something I do every day when I’m getting into VR.

I want a way to disable the tundra tracker from powering up when plugged in for charging only. How do I do that?

3 Likes

You can’t, it isn’t possible.
If you unplug the dongle the trackers can’t start steamvr anymore.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do at this point is to make sure you’ve plugged them in before you quit SteamVR so that they turn off together with the base stations.

The tundra trackers will always turn on in some form or fashion when connected to power so either you allow them to start SteamVR or you disable that function and they’ll sit idle, waiting to connect indefinitely until you hold their power buttons and shut them down again.

Thanks for confirming. I am aware.

This is more of a Tundra Engineering suggestion, as this auto power up is not a desired function for a vast majority of Tundra Tracker owners, and it could be easily changed with a firmware update.

Also, plugging in your tracker immediately after using it means it will sit at 100% charge, which significantly reduces the lifespan of the Li-Po battery.

Tundra engineers, can you please correct this bug in the firmware?

3 Likes

this would be something that I’ll pick up the discussion on. We will let everyone know if there will be a firmware fix soon!

4 Likes

hope a firmware update can fix this. this gets really annoying cause I used to chug my tracks in my dock in the morning, get ready for the day and then get them out when they are full.
but putting them in and disconnecting them from charging turns on vr every time.

5 Likes

I concur. This is really a bad idea, since you can just push the button and turn them on while the charger is connected. This doesn’t inhibit any functions to anyone except maybe 1 or 2 people at Tundra Labs (or maybe 3 more people who asked for a feature that has no significance).

Also, great fun is to be had if you accidentally NUDGE your charger for them:

6 Likes

Here’s what I do, I simply unplug my SW dongle for the night when plugging in. It’s not elegant but works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Adding another +1 that this should be changed so that trackers do not turn on when power is connected. Ignoring the issue with SteamVR launching with the trackers connecting, having the trackers power up when the charger is connected means you have to take the extra effort just to shut off the tracker so it charges correctly.

6 Likes

Mine seem to turn back on while plugged in, even if I turned them off manually.

1 Like

It doesn’t help that you apparently can’t tell whether they are on or off while charging.

Orange light? Charging, but might be off, might be on. Connect your dongle and see if SteamVR fires up to find out.

Turning green when fully charged apparently isn’t a thing either.

5 Likes

Definitely agree it would be better to have them stay off by default. I could be wrong but I don’t think any regular user really wants this, even people with track strap plus’. I’ve also found the status light is really confusing because of it, like Roughy posted. Can’t tell if they’re on or off because I unplug the SW when charging so steamvr won’t start, and mine seem to go solid blue when fully charged, not green? I think? I can’t even tell tbh.

4 Likes

Just want to throw my support behind getting this changed. No other common consumer VR device exhibits this behavior. Even outside of VR the standard behavior of battery powered devices with a power button is to not turn on unless the power button is pressed.

The fact the recommended workaround for this is to edit settings in the steamVR configuration files that are not listed within the steamVR settings GUI further shows this is not the standard or expected behavior for these types of devices. Especially when those changes break the standard expected behavior of hitting the power button to launch VR.

1 Like

Yeah it also anoyed me already I’m used to turning VR off from inside of VR then place the trackers into my charging station and then I go to my PC to notice VR just powered up again (this is in my case also bit healthy for my base stations due to my average use of about 4 times a week i setup my base stations up to turn completely off when I stop VR but now they are basically doing an unnecessary startup everytime I forget to disconnect the dongle before putting my trackers to charge)

1 Like